We are proud to have created a new benchmark in sustainability for the hospitality industry in Chile
We gracefully welcome to be challenged from competitors! We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations, and dedicated to programs that support and lessen our footprint on our changing environment. With this goal in mind, Carménère is committed to:
Carménère is the first ecoHotel in Santiago and far more advanced in sustainable technology and practices than any hotel in the city. The first hotel with photovoltaic solar panels for electricity connected to the city grid (net-meetering), contributing energy back to the city. And we will be the first off the grid in the near future using Tesla’s Powerwall battery system as we are first on waiting list for its manufacturing in 2017. We are the first hotel in Santiago with a ¨Farm to Fork¨ program, literally meaning that the foods that we farm will end up on the forks of our guests. And our interior flower arrangements are mostly native and from the region. These types of programs are practiced widely in restaurants and hotels in both North America and Europe, and we are proud to be the first in our capital.
We gracefully welcome to be challenged from competitors!
We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations, and dedicated to programs that support and lessen our footprint on our changing environment. With this goal in mind, Carménère is committed to:
Complying with, or exceeding, all applicable local environmental laws and regulations. We promote environmental awareness, train our employees to incorporate good environmental practices in all aspects of their operations. We monitor our performance in respect to the changes in Best Environmental Practices, periodically reviewing our operations, procedures and objectives. We recycle all waste products, strive to improve our water and energy conservation and we buy environmentally friendly supplies from local vendors whenever possible. We further encourage and prompt our guests and suppliers to participate in an environmentally responsible manner.
Our commitment is ongoing. We encourage our guests to give us feedback or suggestions as we continue on the journey of environmental stewardship. We are committed to maintaining a superior guest experience that goes beyond our customer’s expectations, while reducing our impact on the earth’s natural resources.
WE LOVE PRESERVATION !
PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT OUR PRACTICES IN DETAIL BELOW
PROPERTY & PRESERVATION
• We love preservation! From the all original flooring (yes sometimes they squeak) to the original 1939 design of the house
• Photovoltaic Solar Panels for electric power
• Sanitary Hot Water through Solar Thermal Collector
• Hotel owned organic vegetable garden for food served at breakfast
• Property is thoroughly insulated including a coat of adobe and straw in attic space
• Double pane windows throughout the property (this is not a common practice in chile)
• Solar attic fan-extractor
• North facing (towards the sun) bedroom windows have a protective film for UV rays and temperature control
• All lighting fixtures are fitted with energy efficient light bulbs (LED and CFL)
• Programmable timers and sensors control lighting in common areas
• We recycle paper, plastic, glass and organic material (composting)
• Our appliances and electronics are low energy rating including EnergyStar
• All our batteries are rechargeable (TV remote controls, etc.)
• Recycling bins are located around the property including guestrooms
• Our sinks faucets and shower heads are fitted with low-flow aerators
• Refillable amenity dispensers reduce wrapping material
• Natural lighting is never obstructed. Furniture is position to allow maximum sunlight into the property.
• We planted trees near windows that loose foliage during the winter
• All our food/produce is all natural or organic whenever available
• “Food to Fork” Program where we grow our own organic food for our guests, from composting our waste, to our veggie garden, to their plates
• In room recycling system
• Ecofriendly cooling for all rooms
• 100% tobacco free environment inside the property
• Our supplies come from local vendors, organic producers, and healthy national products
• We use highly biodegradable bath and cleaning products
• We use 100% recycled paper for printing (double siding). We mostly go electronic (PDF, Word, email)
• Office supplies are biodegradable, recycled and/or organic materials
Reusable water bottles. We give our guests a single reusable water bottle with access to filtered water.
We support the non-profit, LATE; our only provider for purified water. All proceeds go directly to social oriented foundations that focus on at-risk youth.
• Laundry and dishwashing equipment is set on coolest effective setting and fill to capacity
to maximize energy and water use
• We have a Towel-Reuse-Program
• Strive for enhanced indoor air quality
• Friendly placards around the property instruct our guest how to help us save the environment
• We follow a strict guideline in energy efficiency, conservation and reuse
• Our own transportation is done in a Hybrid Electric Vehicles as well as by bike. We contract a local bike service to pick up our cheese, yogurts and mermeladas all from local organic chilean companies.
• Interior flower arrangements are mostly native and from the region
• Smart irrigation practices
• We harvest rainwater for watering our gardens
• Smart irrigation practices
• A Green Wall in our garden helps bring down the temperature a few degrees
• Plants and trees are mostly native and tolerant to local conditions (low water)
• We only use organic fertilizers, pesticides, and biocides
• Accent lighting in our garden are solar powered
• We have a vegetable garden, herbs and fruit trees
• Our gardener Daniela is an expert in environmentally friendly practices including bringing her pet bunny to trim grass where desired
FAIR TRADE AND SHARED VALUES
• Fair treatment of our workers and contractors including; living salaries above industry standards; paid leave on birthdays; no more than 8-hour shifts, 5 days in a row schedule and minimum 2 consecutive days off a week; equal sales commissions for all including for cleaning staff, hotel closes for christmas eve and christmas day as well as new year’s eve and new year’s day so that everyone may stay home with their family and friends
• Uphold and exceed international certification standards for eco-hotel
• Leading our associates to apply ecofriendly and healthy practices in their daily operations
• Purchasing fresh and organic foods, grown locally in a sustainable manner
• Sourcing environmentally responsible services and products locally, and purchasing organic, environmentally friendly and recycled-material supplies, whenever possible. Purchasing national and/or indigenous artisanship, craftsmanship, arts and products to promote our Chilean heritage
• Utilizing environmentally responsible building materials and strategies for any construction or renovation
• Purchasing quality and durable goods
• Creating partnerships with other organizations that have demonstrated a commitment to preserving the environment
• Promoting environmental education, awareness and public declaration.